As we go through childhood, there are so many things that we can’t wait to do when we grow up. Drive a car, go to college, get married, have kids… the list goes on. I’ve come to realize we saw the adults in our lives in a very different way than those adults likely felt (i.e. responsible). I remember thinking when I get out of college and get my first “real” job, I’ll feel like an adult. When I picked up a second job to make extra cash and then spent that cash playing Texas Hold ‘Em at said second job until 5 am… that didn’t really make me feel like an adult. So then I thought… when I move to Florida with my boyfriend to start a new life together, I’ll feel like an adult. Aaaand then we spent a lot of time at the bars, making new friends, going to the beach and I really wasn’t putting on the adult pants yet. Then there were all the other adult-like things that I figured would make me get that overwhelming feeling of hitting “adulthood”:
- getting married
- buying a house
- having a kid
- having another kid
- TURNING 30!
- moving across the country
But still… it wasn’t any of those things. Rather, it was the mundane pieces of life that made me start feeling like an adult, and it makes me want to say what the hell was I waiting for all this for??
So here it is… 10 signs that you might be an adult… finally:
- Your muscles hurt. Like all the time.
- You want to go to sleep at 7:45 pm. Except on Saturdays when you want to stay up past midnight just to prove that you can.
- You want, strike that, need to nap, but can’t, which is why #2 exists.
- You naturally wake up early every day whether you have to or not.
- Everything makes you bloated.
- You cannot play kick ball well anymore (or wiffle ball or volleyball or frisbee)
- You turn down another drink because you have to drive (I didn’t say they were all bad)
- You’ve paid off a student loan or two
- You are credit card debt-free because that means you finally learned a few lessons that the “adults” in your life tried to tell you
- You’re in the process of searching for the meaning of life… or at least your own life… and you won’t rest until you find it!
I’m pretty comfortable finally becoming an adult… even though I project it will be another 2 years before I am fully embracing this list. In the meantime, I’ll continue to let my “youngster years” creep into the picture!